Sort collections by newest date

Hi easy fix here.
I like to see movies by date order. However collections are given a date for the oldest film in the collection as opposed to the newest.

This can prove to be really frustrating when looking for a new film that happens to be part of an older collection.

Please fix this so a collection date is that of the newest film in its collection.
Thanks

Stu

Well this is not really a fix but a matter of choice, I personally prefer that order and you can still manually change the order.

But for consistency since sorting by date the movies sort descending first, I guess I can change the default to descending too for that use case.

I think you misunderstood me. The collections are sorted by oldest film in the collection regardless of which sort option is selected

Or maybe the opposite? :wink:

Sort is temporary set to date asc when opening a set but you can still change order :wink:

I am fully aware of how to sort the lists.
The problem is not how to sort the collections but where the collection appears in the main list.

One example is the iron man films.
The films are grouped in the collection as expected.
The films were released in 2008 2010 2013

The result of sorting the main list by date order (with newest first) is the iron man collection appears along side other movies of 2008.
When sorted by newest first, the collection should appear amongst other 2013 films.

This happens for all film collections and is very frustrating.

So I was supposed to guess that you are using group by set and that half of what you wrote was related to seeing a set content and irrelevant to the main issue :slight_smile:

Anyway no it’s not easy fix at all, SQLITE group by does not respect ordering so it’s not the oldest one, it’s a random one from the collection. Can be on your device the oldest for some sets, but it’s undefined so unpredictable.

I figured that the grouping script could easily read the dates from the group and set a new date flag for the collection related to the newest film in the group.

There’s no script, no flag and no easily :slight_smile: This is SQL group by, and there’s no easy performant solution to this issue :frowning:

#sadface
I’ll just turn off group by then

Actually found a "workaround’ SELECT will be present in a future version.

When the min() or max() aggregate functions are used in an aggregate query, all bare columns in the result set take values from the input row which also contains the minimum or maximum

Oh nice, thanks for the info. I’ll look out for this in future.
Thanks much