Cant play sidecar subtitles on Android

Issue description:
I cannot get sidecar subtitles to work. I have tried both streaming and synced files. I am using Plex as my Host and am only trying to play on Android via MX Player (although I downloaded VLC with the same results). None of the files have embedded subtitles, only have sidecar files.

Ted Lasso - S02E01 - Goodbye Earl.mkv

• Synced to device
  • mkv with ass subtitle
  • I can see the subtitle file alongside the mkv in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree/files/OfflineMedias so that’s good.
  • Initializing play from Yatse only plays the video file and does not display subtitle as a track
  • Initializing play from the file manager does the same thing, no subtitle. Although I am a little surprised it played. I thought it would complain about permission issues trying to access another apps Data folder.
  • If I move the two files out of the /storage/emulated/0/Android/data (e.g. to /storage/emulated/0/Downloads) and initializing play from that file, it does show the subtitle

Star Trek - The Next Generation - S07E11 - Parallels.mkv

• Streamed from Plex
  • mkv with srt subtitle
  • Initializing play from Yatse only plays the video file and does not display subtitle as a track

The moving the files out of the Data folder and having it work is interesting to me, but I’m not familiar with how your app handles the inter-communications to players (if you just specify the actual subtitle in the intent vs letting MX handle it or something).

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!

Logs:
Logs from synced local play of Ted Lasso - S02E01 - Goodbye Earl.mkv
debug-20210928_073956.zip (8.6 KB)

Logs of remote play of Star Trek - The Next Generation - S07E11 - Parallels.mkv
debug-20210928_082556.zip (11.3 KB)

Screenshots:

Additional information:
Phone: OnePlus7Pro (GM1917)
Android: Oxygen OS 11.0.3.1 (Android 11)
Yatse: 10.10.5 (Has Files and media permissions)
MX Player Pro: 1.39.13 (Has Files and media permissions)
Plex Server: 1.24.3.5033

Well I feel foolish. I must have accidentally disabled this setting

Enabling it fixed all my issues. Apologizes! I’ll mark it as resolved but feel free to delete if you would like. Sorry to waste your time!

Not sure to understand you checked that box so disabling the sub search and it now works ? Should be the opposite.

Err yeah sorry. Double negative got me confused.

That option:
enabled = not working
disabled = working

Ok so everything normal.

1 Like