Some videos from lbry not playing (log included)

Hello guys. First off let me say, I’m so happy I’ve just found out and successfully tried out the pro version of YATSE and I’m gonna buy it too. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for in order to cast videos from all areas (especially with no kodi plugin) on my television. Thank you so much for this. Now what I’ve found, using the LBRY app on my android phone/tablet is that on one channel for some reason the videos don’t play. On the other channels they’ve played so far, but I just started testing… so I dont know, maybe you can help me by looking at the following log-file.

thanks in advance!

Logs:
2020-12-08 20:00:29.435 T:2417017712 NOTICE: [script.yatse.kodi] Using fake _subprocess module
2020-12-08 20:00:29.438 T:2417017712 NOTICE: [script.yatse.kodi] Starting script version: 2.3.1
2020-12-08 20:00:29.438 T:2417017712 NOTICE: [script.yatse.kodi] Parameters: {‘action’: ‘share’, ‘queue’: ‘false’, ‘data’: ‘https%3A%2F%2Flbry.tv%2F%40Querdenken711%3Aa%2F20201202_RBB-Tagesthemen-Reichsbu%CC%88rger%3Ae’, ‘type’: ‘unresolvedurl’}
2020-12-08 20:00:29.439 T:2417017712 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type ‘exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError’>
Error Contents: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0xcc in position 66: ordinal not in range(128)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/storage/.kodi/addons/script.yatse.kodi/default.py”, line 29, in
commandsargument[‘action’]
File “/storage/.kodi/addons/script.yatse.kodi/lib/share.py”, line 27, in run
handle_unresolved_url(argument[‘data’], action)
File “/storage/.kodi/addons/script.yatse.kodi/lib/share.py”, line 90, in handle_unresolved_url
logger.info(u’Trying to resolve URL (%s): %s’ % (action, url))
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t decode byte 0xcc in position 66: ordinal not in range(128)
–>End of Python script error report<–

Screenshots:

Additional information: Maybe it has to do with the german letters Ä, Ö, Ü ?? these are in the video title…

Please provide proper full logs including Yatse ones.
There’s no information about Kodi version or Yatse or the original intent from the app.

LibreELEC (official): 9.2.6
Kodi 18.9.0

debug.log (10.8 KB)

it’s most definitly the handling of the letters like Ö, Ä because these are the vids not working.

do you need any more logs?

So it is an encoding issue with Python 2. All works nicely with Kodi 19 and python 3.

Unfortunately even if I workaround Yatse part on Kodi 18 YoutubeDL then fails and that is way out of the things I can manage in Python :frowning:

So for now only solution is moving to Kodi 19 unless you know a Python expert that can help fix the script at https://github.com/Tolriq/repository.yatse.kodi

ok thank you very much! then I will check if moving to KODI 19 is possible without problems.

But, that I also found out, with youtube the problem does not occur. So somehow it must be not alone a problem of Kodi/yatse script, but the way “sharing” out of the lbry app works in comparison to sharing out of youtube. you know what I mean? so maybe the lbry ppl could do something to fix it?

Most apps in the world avoid sharing unicode urls to avoid issues. They don’t. They probably can and should simplify the urls but it’s probably easier to find someone that can fix the python side than to have them change this.

Maybe they want to improve their app :slight_smile: I can try both ways. So the problem is unicode and what would or should be the alternative, ASCII? thanks for your help!

edit: I asked their support and got a fast and nice reply: "It’s a filed bug, we’ll try to fix it soon! " :slight_smile: